Thursday, March 1, 2012

The McDowell Family of Virginia and Kentucky

Post Summary

McDowell Family markers in Rockbridge Co. Virginia  I have now posted over 100 state historical markers on this blog since it began. I have photos of over 1600 markers, I could potentially post in the future. I am always taking more photos each year.

  Whenever you read an historical marker, it can only tell you limited information nor can it relate all the significant historical facts about a specific location or person. This is one of the reasons I started this blog, because I became interested about learning more and discover additional details about the history shared by these markers. After I stopped to photograph about a hundred or more markers, I began realizing that these markers were not just isolated moments in history, but several markers in different locations were telling a larger story of individuals, families, states or a nation, many times across several states. I wanted to take a moment to point out this larger story by periodically listing prior posts that relate to a common topic or group.

  During November and December, I had nine posts related to the family of Dr. Ephraim McDowell whose family first settled in Virginia and parts of the family later moved to Kentucky.

Red House and the McDowell Family

McDowell's Grave

Cherry Grove Estate

Site of Log Courthouse

Grayson's Tavern

Dr. Alexander Humphreys

Ephraim McDowell House

Jane Todd Crawford

Dr. Ephraim McDowell 1771-1830
McDowell-Crawford Surgery

No comments:

Post a Comment